[Asterisk-Dev] variable sample period?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Feb 23 08:11:27 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 12:40 +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> hi
>
> I've been told the sample period in asterisk is 20ms, hardcoded.
>
> Would it take much to make this variable?

BKW pointed out that ilbc requires a 30ms sample period. GSM frames can
not be any less than 20ms and must be on 20 ms multiples due to the
encoding style.

Are you sure you want to mess with that value? Obviously it is only
possible for some codecs and it will have a effect on the overhead
levels. Such as reducing the samples to 10ms for ulaw would double the
overhead causing the 80k bandwidth requirement to end up using about 96k
or so. Increasing the sample size is going to cause delay to increase
and possibly cause echo to get worse.