[Asterisk-Dev] Refined Voice CallerID Announce

Wed Feb 23 04:07:20 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 03:20 -0600, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 19:42 +1100, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> > Originally, I thought this was a bull-shit waste of time, but after
> > reading the above comment, my first thought was "Hey, this really could
> > be a very useful tool for the blind/near blind, which could include a
> > large portion of the eldery, which will shortly be the biggest portion
> > of most 'markets'.....
> I don't think the elderly is a target, but the blind or nearly blind
> still are in the workplace and need consideration. Of course how often
> should a workplace person be screening calls? Not something for me to
> answer, I have learned that my opinion of ethics in business doesn't
> exactly match with what is practiced.

*shrug*... consider an ... (looking for the 'right' word... dunno) old
people's home where they install asterisk with a phone in every room?
Not all asterisk boxes are installed in the workplace. I've lost count
of the number of times people drop in and ask us to tell them
step-by-step how to rollout a residential system for a block of units,
or some other style....

> Looks like you need to pass the details to festival and create a temp
> file and use it with the current dial app as a pre-announcement file.
>
>       'A(x)' -- play an announcement to the called party, using x as file
>
> Shouldn't be anything at all to call system or use AGI to make festival
> output a nice temp file and then use the A(x) option of dial to play the
> temp file. You could also run a garbage collection routine to cleanup
> temp every now and again by deleting the everything but the last x
> number of files and use touch to update any already created files. This
> would possibly help reduce the number of times festival is needed to
> deal with repeat callers.

Hmmm, thats a much nicer method than my suggestion :)... Then again,
I've not looked at all the million new arguments to dial... I'll
probably do that shortly when I move the cvs-head soon...

> See really simple. You don't have to make it any more difficult than it
> needs to be.

Even easier, delete the file in the h extension... :)
Perhaps use the asterisk db to record the number of calls received from
this callerid, if the value is > 2 (or some value you choose) then don't
delete the file. ie, if someone calls you once every 3 months, then who
cares.

Regards,
Adam
Adam Goryachev