[Asterisk-Dev] gcc 2.96 compatibility

Jeremy McNamara jj at nufone.net
Tue Feb 22 08:11:46 MST 2005

Steve Hanselman wrote:

> The current CVS no longer compiles under gcc 2.96, what's the view on
> this, do you intend to maintain backward compatibility with older gcc
> versions or is gcc 3.0+ now mandatory?
>

> (it's the declaration for ast_ivr_option in app.h that is the first
> issue that's hit).

Angler at Digium pointed the issue out to me a few days ago.
Unfortunately, I am not skilled enough to actually solve the problem,
but I have figured out what the problem is.

One must use a pointer to a dynamic array member and then malloc N
number of elements. A local variable, in the struct, seems to piss off
gcc v2.96 and v3.4.4 (current ver) but v3.2.2 on RedSmack seems to deal
with it without issue.

Perhaps it is time for an official bug report

Jeremy