[Asterisk-Dev] UltraSparc hardware, Linux and X100P REVISITED

dking at pimpsoft.com dking at pimpsoft.com
Mon Feb 21 17:34:43 MST 2005

Allot of asterisk development seems to be under gentoo, and at the
time I did that porting work I was actually running debian. I have
been thinking about switching my UltraSparc to gentoo as well since I
love it on the server I installed it on here in my R&D network/lab; I
guess I have a valid reason to do that now.

In my experience the Kernel modules and zaptel do not like to play
nice with anything non-i86 compatible. I was acutely surprised you
even got it to load, but then again its been some time since I last
looked into it so I am sure it has improved. The PCI drivers for
linux however are much older and much more stable then zaptel is, so
I am inclined to believe that the issues you experienced stem from
issues in zaptel itself. If you could work with it for a day or two
and document the bugs/issues you have, it may help future development
or provide insight.

Zaptel was actually the one thing I didn't touch when I was working
on Asterisk and the lib it required to get it compiled and working on
my UltraSparc, so I have no doubt it still needs to be ported/looked
into still. I would file a official bug report with both the asterisk
bug tracker and the gentoo bug tracker to get the ball rolling myself
as well.

Its nice to see my efforts are at least helping others at the very
least, especially with all the hate mail I got for helping the open
source community and porting it to UltraSparc in the first place,
LOL.

 - D