[Asterisk-Dev] Potential bug in caller ID setting; comments requested

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Fri Feb 18 17:35:50 MST 2005

John Todd wrote:

> The bug?  It seems that SetCallerID will only accept a NUMBER in between
> the <> identifiers.  To follow the spec, it should be possible to set a
> STRING (not just a number) as this value.  I'd like to have my caller ID
> show "John Todd <jtodd at foocorp.com>" as the remote caller ID, which is
> the correct external return path, instead of the internal extension
> number or whatever the other internal identifier is inside this
> particular ITAD.

It's not in SetCallerID (or maybe it's there too), but this is happening
in chan_sip. It filters out non-numeric CLIP before stuffing it into the
 From header (among other things).

I have a proposal for much more flexible handling of CLIP/CNIP (that
adds COLP/CONP), which I intended to bring up during the conference call
this week, but I did not do so because the call was already too long and
unproductive...

In my opinion, the entire CID handling in Asterisk is broken in a number
of ways; it needs to be dynamic, it needs to be able to return different
results depending on who is asking, etc.

If you're interested in discussing this, find me on IRC some time and
I'll describe what I'm thinking about proposing... but I don't hold a
lot of hope that it will get merged, because it's pretty complex.