[Asterisk-Dev] ENUM multiple records handling

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Mon Feb 14 03:23:46 MST 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 11:08:09AM +0100, Andreas Sikkema wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 02:06, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> > - The DNS data for this call stays cached for 15 minutes, with the
> >   assumption that if you haven't reached your calling party after
> >   14 minutes of ringing, you might want to try a different method
> >   of communication.
>
> Depending on how you're calling the destination (ie from PSTN or such)
> you'll never reach this amount of time (at least in .nl).

It is not that it will ever reach it, it is that it will never reach it.

Imagine this on a dark christmas morning when you have been called in:

    sip-phone at home (I'm in the computerroom at work, rescueing a machine!)
    sip-phone at work (That means, not at my desk)
    normal phone at home (Work. Christmas. My favourites!)
    normal phone at work (But not here)
    secretary at work (yeah right, christmas remember)
    mobile phone (Bloody who is bothering me?)

I admit this is a little bit extreme, but still 6 times 45 seconds
makes 4.5 minutes.

And keep in mind that the DNS data is only for *this* incoming call,
it won't be used later anywhere anymore.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org
edwin at mavetju.org    |          Weblog: http://weblog.barnet.com.au/edwin/