[Asterisk-Dev] ENUM multiple records handling

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Sun Feb 13 18:06:41 MST 2005

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 07:45:46PM +0000, Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP) wrote:
> (ii)  The timers are waaayyyyy toooo loooong at 15/45 Minutes - you
> would
>       be better setting them at a couple of minutes or so. Remember,
> the DNS
>       data may have changed in the interim, and you will hold "stale"
> processed
>       data in the linked list. Strictly, you could argue that once the
> call has
>       finally been set up successfully, the linked list can be cleared
> then.

This is source of confusion:

- The DNS data is only cached per call, each subsequent call to the
  same number does do new DNS lookups (and caches them for that
  call).

  The reason the data is cached is (see (i) which I deleted) that
  the current call wants data as it is now, even if it has changed
  while the current call is timing out. At least that's my PoV.

- The DNS data for this call stays cached for 15 minutes, with the
  assumption that if you haven't reached your calling party after
  14 minutes of ringing, you might want to try a different method
  of communication.

>       As I said, in my "knock off" version I did exactly the same thing
> as you
>       have (i.e. process everything once and don't re-query), but since
> then our
>       testing has shown that this may not be a good plan if folk change
> their
>       ENUM data often.

That's part of the project I'm doing, so yes it's necessary to
requery every incoming call.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org