[Asterisk-Dev] TCP/IP Gigabit Ethernet accel. question

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht list+asterisk-dev at lists.wsrcc.com
Sat Feb 12 22:22:09 MST 2005

jtodd at loligo.com (John Todd) writes:
> However, in light of the above discussions (and Kevin Fleming's
> similar comments) I'm less inclined to think that it's going to be a
> major benefit.  Most of the benefit of these types of cards seems to
> come from their TCP offloading, and RTP's UDP structure would only
> benefit from checksum generation, which seems to be a minor (if
> negligible?) benefit.

RTP offloading seems like the right way to get low-delay. ;-)
Unfortunately every asterisk sip.conf example file one sees shows
"canreinvite=no".  Many folks will never even know that there is a
better, direct connection method that takes the kernel out of the talk
path.

Sadly, even if ones own system is "reinvite clean", the voip-to-pstn
providers might not be.  For example, I can't get gafachi to honor the
reinvite.  They just drop the immediately after the reinvite goes out.
As a community we need to make folks aware of the benefits of
"reinvite" and get voip-to-pstn providers to test their systems a bit
better.

-wolfgang
     Hate software patents?  Sign here: http://thankpoland.info/