[Asterisk-Dev] Codec = RAW ?

Gary gary at ausmail.com
Fri Feb 11 18:35:50 MST 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:03:50 -0500, Steve Kann wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>
>>Hi folks,
>>
>>Whilst discussing FAXoip issues with someone yesterday, they suggested
>>why not have a RAW codec.
>>
>>A codec with no loss (& no compression). (the claytons codec)
>>
>>Basically really only for use between E1/T1/BRI interfaces,
>>which don't have to be on the same box, but normal dialplans
>>could be used.
>>
>>Any thoughts ?
>>

>ulaw (or alaw) is already lossless, because that's how the date is
>already going over your lines. The problem is packets being lost, or
>late, or whatnot.

Thanks Steve,

But one point I suppose I didn't push....
eg:
Putting bandwidth issue aside, the ability to receive a call from a
E1 whether it be data/voice/whatever and represent the call out
another E1/BRI with the data bearer type UNCHANGED. Thus
if someone range a particular number and presented a Data Over
Voice call, you can switch that call (maybe based on Called-number)
out another E1 to another carrier.

It could push Asterisk into a new realm of rather than just being a
voice type switch but more inline with a carrier class switch ?

Or maybe this can be already done ?

Gary
.