[Asterisk-Dev] IAX2 trunk really should send timestamps as part of iax2_meta_trunk_entry..

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Feb 5 09:04:04 MST 2005

steve at daviesfam.org wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 steve at daviesfam.org wrote:
>

>>In my mind we'll only ever get dejittering and the trunking code to play
>>nicely once the trunking code gives each enclosed frame its own timestamp.
>>

>Hmmm - I did think of a hack that might fix this issue without having to
>have a timestamp for EVERY enclosed frame - which is to just send the
>timestamp for the FIRST frame.
>
>The trunk frame either all arrives or none.  By comparing the one received
>timestamp with the last received for that channel we can get an offset and
>use that offset to recover the timestamps for all the other frames in the
>trunk frame.
>
>Wouldn't that work? (it was a half-asleep brainwave - so don't shoot me if
>its dumb!)
>
>Steve

Think plesiochronous :-) [if you don't know what that means, look it
up]. T1s and E1s come from the days of plesiochronous telecoms (PDH -
the plesiochronous digital heirarchy). SDH - the synchronous digital
heirarchy - replaced that, and the complexity of multiplexing and
demultiplexing dropped dramatically.

What goes into an IAX trunk packet is a bunch of plesiochronous streams.
They each have their own timing. A common timestamp for the whole group
doesn't cut it.

Regards,
Steve