[Asterisk-Dev] IAX2 trunk really should send timestamps as part of iax2_meta_trunk_entry..

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Fri Feb 4 09:06:40 MST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Steve Kann wrote:

> OK, there's two points I'd like to discuss, but I'm not sure which order
> to discuss them...
>
> 1) Why should iax2 trunk frames include timestamps for each meta frame,
> 2) How could we go about making this change.

In my mind we'll only ever get dejittering and the trunking code to play
nicely once the trunking code gives each enclosed frame its own timestamp.

That's on the basis of hours of thought, working through examples and
traces etc.

You can maybe put lots of heuristics in and mostly get the reconstructed
timestamps right - but not 100%.

And the timestamps are crucial to the correct functioning of the jitter
buffer.

Mark feels it can be done, and also doesn't want to agree because of the
"wire cost"  of the extra info.

But I can't see how.

Steve