[Asterisk-Dev] Bounty IAX Fax Tone Detection

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Tue Feb 1 10:58:11 MST 2005

On 2005.02.01 09:20 Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> As I've stated many times on -users, I have FoIP working very well.

FoIP implies T.38, in my understanding.  What you have is fax over
VoIP.  The difference being that in VoIP there is audio.  With FoIP
there is no audio, just data, and IP networks are well-accustomed to
data communication.

> Every
> call in and out of my company is over IAX2, including faxes.  Now
> admittedly,
> my FoIP is only 1-hop from the PRI downtown to here, but it does work
> and
> works very well.

Yes, and I have a fax on VoIP here on my small home LAN that works,
too.  But the minute I try to send a fax through NuFone (ULAW) it
fails.  Fax over VoIP is unreliable.  It may work in one scenario but
not in another.

Lee.