[Asterisk-Dev] Re: ztdummy? is it necessary?

North Antara north at ntbox.com
Wed Dec 28 22:37:46 MST 2005

Jason DiCioccio wrote:

> It sounds like it's basically a choice between supporting the OS's
> driver APIs (which, in my experience, break more often between OS
> releases) and CPU architecture quirks, versus supporting the RTC APIs
> for each OS (which, from what I'm gathering, isn't standardized).
>
> What makes choice B better than choice A?

I'll try to expand on what Eric was saying.  Somebody correct me here if
I'm wrong.

If asterisk (and each function, application, resource, etc, that
currently {or in the future} uses zaptel timing) had to support every
OS/configuration, you'll get the same/similar code repeated in quite a
few places.  With ztdummy, asterisk only has to know how to do one thing
- and the rest can be abstracted into ztdummy.  Yes, ztdummy may have to
change every time one of the BSDs or Solaris or <insert obscure OS>
changes their interface, but it would only be ztdummy that needs to be
updated - not 30 different places, which might require a recompile of
half the asterisk tree (yes, I'm exaggerating a little).

Hopefully I'm not way off...

North Antara