[Asterisk-Dev] Unacceptable delays in IAX channel.

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Dec 21 20:53:20 MST 2005

Steve Kann wrote:

> Have a pool of "worker" threads, and a "work queue".   When socket_read
> reads and parses frames, if there's a possible blocking operation
> involved (like ARA), it puts the frame into the work queue, which these
> worker threads are waiting on (or servicing).  It would seem that other
> than some reorganizing of socket_read (probably to break it up into
> smaller functions), this could be done without having to do major surgery.

Yes, this is definitely something that needs to be done. Once I finish
up some other project administration work that needs to be done, I'll be
  creating a new SVN branch containing the network socket rework that
I've been doing... that will lead to the socket layer being able to
deliver incoming packets to pools of threads allocated by each socket
user, including chan_iax2.