[Asterisk-Dev] What would prevent logs from being recreated ifthey are deleted?

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Thu Dec 15 13:50:55 MST 2005

On 14 Dec 2005, at 20:42, James Armstrong wrote:

> I also have this problem. The logs are created, but when they too
> big I delete them and they are not recreated until I restart Asterisk.

Ah, is this the old unix quirk, where removing a directory entry does
not remove the associated
file, because a program still has it open ? (it used to be a great
way to hide big files from
sysadmins :-) )

If I have this right, then asterisk still has an open file handle to
the logfile, and is
blissfully unaware that you have removed the last link to it in the
filesystem.
The kernel won't release the file until all the file handles and
directory entries
to it have gone - which happens when you shutdown asterisk.

You should be able to spot of this is the case by listing the open
files associated with the
asterisk process (or looking in /proc/$asterisk_pid/fd)

http://www.westhawk.co.uk/