[Asterisk-Dev] defect in sip_chan.c?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Dec 14 09:31:00 MST 2005

Steve Murphy wrote:

There is no sip_chan.c in Asterisk.

> I am having a problem with matching contexts from sip.conf with the
> callerid info coming in from a SIP provider.

This is not a development question, and so is off-topic for this list.

> Isn't this brain dead? Or is there some method to the madness? Why on
> earth would I ever want to have an entry in sip.conf for every possible
> person who would call me via the phone number provided me by the vendor?

This is known behavior, well documented in the wiki and in other
Asterisk resources.

> Wouldn't it make more sense instead to find a user entry for the exten
> instead? I looked at chan_sip.c, and in check_user_full(), at the time
> the find_user() func is called, the variable p->exten contains the
> extension number (my account number with the Provider).

That would be completely broken for normal calls, as the 'exten' is the
target (called party), not the caller.

> The rub is, I need to NOT authenticate incoming calls, just the outgoing
> calls. To do this, I'd like to have two entries in sip.conf, one for the
> "user", and the other for the "peer", where the "user" doesn't
> authenticate (no md5secret, no realm, etc), and the "peer" does
> authenticate.

That's what 'insecure' is for, please read the documentation and the
sample config file.