[Asterisk-Dev] The Zaptel init scripts must die!

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Tue Dec 13 14:08:44 MST 2005

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>
>> Sure, but first, I want you to tell me how zaptel magically knows when
>> all relevant modules are loaded on a machine BEFORE running 'ztcfg',
>> so we don't get misfires on each successive module.  This is what the
>> Mandrake init scripts are designed to do:  load all the relevant
>> modules, preventing running ztcfg until the very end, when all the
>> channels are in place).  If you've magically fixed zaptel to run ztcfg
>> itself, but only after _every_ card module is loaded, then there's no
>> longer any need for init scripts.
>

> Well, I know that on my Debian system with multiple card types installed
> (TDM400P and TE405P), the modules are loaded and ztcfg runs successfully
> without causing any errors, all by just listing the modules in
> /etc/modules.
>
> I suppose what we really need is to find some way to make this work
> properly in the new udev/dynamic device/hotplug world and not require
> static setups at all. That's a much larger change, but one that would be
> welcome in my eyes.

Kevin,

	I suppose.  However, as of this moment I like having to manually
specify module load order, because I can guarantee what order my zap
channels are going to appear.  How could this be done %100
automatically?  I fear a situation where a new card is added to a
system, the zap channels get renumbered, and you spend the next 30
minutes figuring out which card is which, re-writing zap*.conf, etc.
That doesn't seem easier! :)

--
Kristian Kielhofner