[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Manager encryption

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Dec 12 13:53:32 MST 2005

Steven Critchfield wrote:

> With openssl being BSD style licensed, it shouldn't be a problem to link
> to the versions distributed with the distro of choice. This also keeps
> us out of the patch race as it will be updated by the distros.

It's already being used, with an exception granted for Asterisk to be
able to link to it.

> The concern I will toss out is, do we want to make openssl a
> requirement, and how would we build without it otherwise. I'm assuming
> the masochists of the group trying to run asterisk under windows would
> not like it if they where excluded at this point.

It's already a requirement for res_crypto.so, and can be skipped if
someone wants to do so. Presumably if we TLS-enabled the manager
interface, then TLS functionality would just be unavailable if linking
against OpenSSL was disabled at compile time.