[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Manager encryption

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Dec 12 07:37:42 MST 2005

John Todd wrote:

> Why:
>
>   1: Creation of SSH tunnels requires adding a user on the system, which
> introduces security issues when cross-domain access is required.
>
>   2: Creation of SSH tunnels requires that SSH be running with a
> consistent security model across all destinations.
>
>   3: I am a big believer in encryption in the protocol, and not relying
> on tunnels.  Tunnels suck.  If you disagree with this point, don't read
> further.

(/me stops reading now <G>)

The bigger concern is that we if implement something directly, rather
than SSL/TLS, SSH, or something similar, then we expose ourselves to
security flaws and other problems because we are rewriting the wheel.

If this is to happen, I think it makes the most sense for someone to
leverage the initial SIP over TLS work that has already been done and
make a generic TLS socket layer for Asterisk... which can then be used
in the manager interface to solve this problem. No tunnels required, and
safe, secure encryption (and authentication, if you choose to use client
certificates for that purpose).