[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: simplifying sip configuration sections

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Wed Dec 7 11:41:26 MST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 12:24:10PM -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
> > I would propose shortening them in a way similar to the one used
> > for 'register= ...' i.e. put in a single line most of the info, and
> > use sensible defaults. With my proposal the above would become
> >
> >     [provider18]
> >     peer= 1234567:mysecretkey at asterisk.myprovider.org/8901234 at from-provider18
>
> This would be quite ugly, and nearly impossible to use with Realtime.

apart from the fact that 'register= ' lines are already like
this and i agree that they can become long, how would this
new mechanism change things since it's only sintactic sugar which
does not remove the old one ?

> Instead, you can use 'templates' that we already support. Examples are
> in extensions.conf.sample. I use them to good effect to manage hundreds
> of SIP peers while only having 2-3 lines in each one for the parts that
> differ.

where exactly are templates ? in the latest svn revision i only
find the keyword in sip.conf.sample but no example of use...
any better pointers or perhaps an example ?
Maybe the templates you are referring to are things providing
the default values that do not change among different entries,
similar to .tc=... termcap entries ?

cheers
luigi