[Asterisk-Dev] Codec comparisons

Hans Fugal fugalh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 21:17:06 MST 2005

I'd like to do my own subjective comparison of codecs, and it seems
the best way to do this is to encode and then decode an 8khz 16-bit
PCM file of speech, and then listen to it on quality headphones as
well as through a telephone handset (with the help of asterisk). Or
would it be better to use a ulaw file recorded through a handset as
the base?

Sox can handle several of the formats, but others it can't. Is there a
tool out there, or some magic asterisk command, that will transcode a
file on disk to another file in a different format also on disk?

--
Hans Fugal
Fugal Computing