[Asterisk-Dev] meetme enhancements to improve efficiency

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Dec 2 08:24:53 MST 2005

Steve Kann wrote:

> Sure.  If you want to talk about it, I'm happy to do so.

OK... so that's basically the point I was trying to make:

If you have four participants using GSM (for example), and one of them
is speaking, then the other three can receive the same GSM frames of the
conference's mixed audio. That seems pretty obvious.

However, when one of the other participants begins speaking, they now
need to receive the mixed audio _minus_ their own contribution.
Switching source streams means switching to a separate translator
(codec) path, and that new path won't have the history built up from the
previous frames (that were sent through the common path), so the first
few frames encoded by that translator will produce less than optimal
results (at best).