[Asterisk-Dev] Jackd and Asterisk

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Aug 31 04:17:30 MST 2005

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 11:17:44PM -0500, Steven wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 20:52 -0700, Mike Taht wrote:
> > I am curious if anyone has tried to create a jackd (jack audio
> > connection kit) <-> asterisk plugin? It looks like a straightforward
> > way (with admittedly a lot of up and downsampling) to interface odd
> > things into asterisk's sound processing loop  - graphically watch
> > sound quality on a conference for example - mix in a little extra bass
> > response on an outgoing call (adding a sense of authoritay to the
>
> Jackd doesn't force up or downsampling onto anything itself. The trouble
> you would run into is that to run any of the graphical portions would
> require X. X isn't conducive to a well functioning asterisk machine.

Does jack require X? Even so, an X app and the X server need not reside
on the same computer. And it is the X server that competes with
Asterisk, not the X app.

Anyway, jack is not the only sound server. gstreamer provides similar
functionality. esound probably perfoms not as well but may have better
networking support in it?

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com