remote MOH was RE: [Asterisk-Dev] Jackd and Asterisk

Steven critch at basesys.com
Tue Aug 30 21:53:58 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 00:17 -0400, Jerris, Michael MI wrote:
> > [mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Steven
> > All that said, I have considered jackd as a good option for
> > doing some interesting functions such as provide a way to get
> > MOH off of the asterisk machine. Specifically I would like to
> > use something like Rivendell to automate MOH and introduce
> > advertisements at set intervals.
> >
> > I have also thought that with jack.udp you could deploy some
> > really simple machines about and be able to do some
> > interesting things with ambient music and announcements.
> >
> > Of course jackd might introduce some load we might not want
> > to incur while running asterisk.
>
> Is this a good time to resurect Remote MOH, and then you could setup
> libiax on a remote machine to run your MOH.

Why would you use libiax as opposed to the comment above with jackd?

The 2 options so far in this thread are,
1) make a Jackd input to asterisk and allow any music app even remotely
connect and provide MOH.

2) make asterisk listen to iax for MOH and then create some libiax to
music app to provide MOH.

I think a jackd option might be easier as you only have to work on the
asterisk side of things. Basically it means we would chunk the mpg123
fork and pipes and connect jackd outputs to the inputs the pipes fed.
Then maybe a glue script or two to make sure the jackd config is in a
predictable state.

I think the only potential trouble is the need to use libjack. At least
libjack is LGPL. But I don't know if we could get it committed to
asterisk with that requirement.

--
Steven Critchfield
critch at basesys.com