[Asterisk-Dev] Images in IAX2

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Sun Aug 28 16:08:28 MST 2005

Hi,
 It seems to me that the format for sending images in IAX2 has some
issues, and I wonder if we can discuss it here.

As you know, I have helped develop a C++/MPL implementation of the IAX2
protocol, that is part of the opal library.
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2005-August/014416.html

One of the current issues that I am facing is the sending of images.

it seems that an image (of any size) is sent in one UDP frame.

I do not understand why images are sent this way, and wonder what will
happen with large images (eg 1 mb)
 - the network stack may just delete the image and never attempt to send
    it.
 - the network stack may partition the image up into fragments.
   if one fragment is lost in the network, the remote IAX2 endpoint will
   never see the image at all.
   Then, of course, the sending end will resend the frame (as the IAX2
   protocol for full frames demands)
   At which point, we have an excesssively busy network..

My view is that if there is no partitioning of the image at a level above
chan_iax2, then we need to partition images in chan_iax2.

Perhaps we can add an IE to the head of the FullFrameImage specifying that
it is  section x of N, and give an identifying image number.
We need the identifying image number cause we might be sending two images
at the same time....
Then, the binary data could be added in a second IE

Thanks in advance,

Derek.

--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.                 Any fool can write code that
IndraNet Technologies Ltd.                a computer can understand.