[Asterisk-Dev] app_rpt and iaxcomm ptt

hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com
Thu Aug 25 11:08:20 MST 2005

Andreas,

What you are asking for is VOX (voice activated TX). This is not something we wish to support in app_rpt. Detecting audio frames to key and unkey transmitters is not reliable, especially when dealing with stuck transmitters, chopped words and carrier unkey delays.

We use these control frames to ensure the transmitter remains keyed only when it has to be, and also to ensure we never have stuck transmitters if the connection fails. We send the KEY/UNKEY control frames every 5 seconds and the transmitter end has a watchdog timer which looks for them. If the watchdog expires, the transmitter will be unkeyed.

What I would like to know is how difficult it would be to add this functionality to iaxcomm? This is something we want to do for our users, and iaxcomm runs on the 3 major platforms.

If iaxcomm could be modified to send the control frames periodically that would be great. What we were thinking on doing was to send keying frames when the space bar is pressed, and unkey frames when the space bar is released.
When a connection is configured in iaxcomm, a check box could be set if the end destination is a radio, and then the control frames would be sent for this connection. It would also be nice to configure the caller ID on a per-connection basis as app_rpt uses this to validate the caller.

Steve Rodgers
QRV Communications
http://app-rpt.qrvc.com