[Asterisk-Dev] SIP channels not cleared

Mikael Magnusson mikaelmagnusson at glocalnet.net
Fri Aug 19 02:12:27 MST 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 10:50:42PM -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Chee Foong wrote:
> >But I still dont understand why asterisk response to the BYE with OK since
> >it is not permited at the stage and leave the channels hanging.
>
> You are correct, Asterisk's response doesn't make much sense. However,
> there is no 'logical' response to a SIP endpoint that is violating the
> spec; the response is 'undefined' which means it could be anything.

I think Asterisk should respond with 481 (Call/Transaction Does Not Exist)
as defined in RFC 3261 Section 15.1.2:

   A UAS first processes the BYE request according to the general UAS
   processing described in Section 8.2.  A UAS core receiving a BYE
   request checks if it matches an existing dialog.  If the BYE does not
   match an existing dialog, the UAS core SHOULD generate a 481
   (Call/Transaction Does Not Exist) response and pass that to the
   server transaction.

/Mikael Magnusson