[Asterisk-Dev] FC3 up2date and Zaptel

Steve Murphy murf at e-tools.com
Tue Aug 16 16:22:12 MST 2005

Hello--

A few weeks back, I ran the FC3 up2date, and it updated my kernel.
But to my dismay, zaptel would no longer build.

I had to download the kernel-src package, and follow (with painstaking
care) the kernel source explosion instructions in the FC3 release notes.

I also, on top of that, had to do some improvisation, as the kernel
sources did not put the source where the updated package was expecting
it be, so I created the hierarchy so the kernel BUILD stuff was where
the links point to.

So, what happened? has Fedora just changed something, or is Asterisk
doing something different? Oh, and PLEASE, for those so inclined, skip
all the angry anti-redhat ranting and raving. It won't help.

The FC3 (and FC4) release notes say this:

> 6.2.2.4. Building Only Kernel Modules
> An exploded source tree is not required to build a kernel module, such
> as your own device driver, against the currently in-use kernel.
>
> For example, to build the foo.ko module, create the following Makefile
> in the directory containing the foo.c file:
>
> obj-m := foo.o
>
> KDIR  := /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
> PWD   := $(shell pwd)
>
> default:
>     $(MAKE) -C $(KDIR) M=$(PWD) modules
>
> Issue the make command to build the foo.ko module.

So, is there any plan to arrange the zaptel build process to run in such
a way as to avoid the necessity of a kernel-src build?

murf

--
Steve Murphy <murf at e-tools.com>
Electronic Tools Company