[Asterisk-Dev] Henning G. Schulzrinne quote on IAX2 from vonmagazine

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Aug 14 20:40:35 MST 2005

On Sunday 14 August 2005 18:23, Derek Smithies wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > Actually, all you'd need to do, then, is to raise the priority
> > with which the iax2 monitoring thread runs.  If it's not getting
> > enough CPU time, raise the priority and it will get what it
> > needs.
>
>  Not really a good idea to raise the priority of one thread as
> opposed to another. Weird things start to happen..

As long as the thread is mostly sleeping (i.e. waiting for I/O) and
will not consume idle CPU, there is no issue in giving it a higher
priority.  However, any thread that consumes idle CPU is going to
starve out any threads at lower priority.  I don't think that's really
an issue with the monitoring thread, as it only does that one thing
and should yield the CPU when there is no network I/O to process.

--
Tilghman