[Asterisk-Dev] res_monitor improvement

Daniel Swarbrick asterisk at pressure.net.nz
Sun Aug 14 15:59:15 MST 2005

Boris Bakchiev wrote:
> How about we allow user to configure temp directory for res_monitor to
> store the files to while it is recording and then let ast_monitor_stop
> copy the files back to configured spool directory.
>
> I'm thinking it would improve things a lot if res_monitor dumps the
> audio to tmfs based /tmp or to ramdisk and then joins/copies the files
> to final destination after recording is complete.

I think the concept is good, but tmpfs filesystems are typically
relatively small (ie 256MB or less). Depending on how busy the PBX was,
there could be situations where the tmpfs filesystem could fill up -
meaning your suggested modifications would need to be able to handle that.

Is the current res_monitor really so inefficient?