[Asterisk-Dev] Re: adding SIPFROMUSER and SIPFROMDOMAIN variables / pbx_builtin_getvar_helper problem

Günther Starnberger gst at sysfrog.org
Fri Aug 12 03:24:57 MST 2005

Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback. As stated before, we developers need feedback
> to confront with reality :-)

> I haven't seen this problem when running with SER, but I'll look into it
> at some point.

In the usual SER/Asterisk combination that most people seem to be using
(if they are using SER) this isn't really an issue as SIP-to-SIP calls
are routed directly by SER and only advanced features like the PSTN
Gateway and Voicemail are done by Asterisk. So i guess that is the
reason why most Asterisk users won't have this problem.

One of the reasons for routing all the calls through Asterisk is that we
are developing a 'vhosted PBX' product and some of the features we need
aren't possible with SER. Another (temporary) reason is bug 3710 - SIP
users should be able to transfer PSTN calls to other SIP users - this is
currently only possible if all SIP calls are routed via Asterisk.

The reason why we are using SER is that we need multiple domain support
- i.e. user at foo is not the same as user at bar. (This would also be
possible with Asterisk but currently we would need to modify usernames
to e.g. user%domain to allow users to register). On the Asterisk side we
are using a more or less complex PyAstre script which does the whole
call routing (it gets all calls via a wildcard forward and takes care of
i.e. on-busy forwards, connecting to the voicebox if the dial fails,
etc.) Some of these things would also be possible with the Realtime
config and chan_local - the problem with chan_local on SIP-to-SIP calls
is that reinvites won't work.

Maybe this information gives some suggestions for further features :)
The nice thing about scripting extensions like PyAstre is that we were
able to implement many missing features and things that would have been
to complicated to implement in extensions.conf.

bye
/gst

(p.s. i'm offline during the next week and therefore won't be able to
reply to mails and/or feedback on my open bug reports.)