[Asterisk-Dev] Re: PostgreSQL support in Asterisk 1.2?

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Sat Aug 6 22:03:54 MST 2005

On Friday 05 August 2005 18:57, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Friday 05 August 2005 11:12, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> > > Yes that's right, I said RealTime is a bad thing.
> >
> > I wouldn't put MySQL near anything critical either, but I find it
> > strange that people are hung up on the "DB" being a point of failure,
> > when we're talking about asterisk here...
>
> Why would you take your PBX, a critical piece of communications
> equipment and tie it to a DB server ...  something else that can have
> HDD or PS failure, or introduce into its decision/routing path the
> possibility of something like the latest Outlook worm which could flood
> the switch and knock your voice quality out?

I understand your point of view, and it would be a valid point if Asterisk
we stable. From experience however, I have never had a PostgreSQL server
crash on me with the exception of one server that developed a faulty ram
chip. Some of my servers have had up to 20GB tables in production.
Asterisk on the other hand seems to crash a couple of times a day under
minimal load. When you can run Asterisk in production for 3 months without
seeing a single core file then your point begins to hold water..

Cheers

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/