[Asterisk-Dev] Re: PostgreSQL support in Asterisk 1.2?

Daniel Swarbrick asterisk at pressure.net.nz
Sat Aug 6 19:40:05 MST 2005

Tim Pushor wrote:
> I'd really like an option for the configuration to be pulled from a
> local berkeley db. I agree that having to maintain a RDBMS
> infrastructure  just so that asterisk can be configured on the fly
> really seems like overkill. Its another hurdle in the quest for 5 9's,
> IMHO.

I must say I agree. Considering the very simplistic DB schema that
Asterisk RT is using, a full RDBMS is overkill. For a version that is
trying to transition away from flat files, you'd think they'd still try
to keep it relatively simple.

If, on the other hand, the DB schema was more sophisticated, and made
use of foreign keys to keep things in check, obviously that requires a
full RDBMS.