[Asterisk-Dev] Re: PostgreSQL support in Asterisk 1.2?

Daniel Swarbrick asterisk at pressure.net.nz
Fri Aug 5 16:25:46 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> Why would you take your PBX, a critical piece of communications equipment and
> tie it to a DB server ...  something else that can have HDD or PS failure, or
> introduce into its decision/routing path the possibility of something like
> the latest Outlook worm which could flood the switch and knock your voice
> quality out?

Simple, put the DBMS on the same box as the PBX. Asterisk won't be
asking anything too demanding of the DB, the DB itself will be quite
small, so I don't see resource scarcity becoming a problem. I certainly
wouldn't recommend putting the DB server on a different box - that
introduces a whole swag of points of failure.

You could argue that the filesystem could become corrupt, at which point
your plain old flat config files also become a point a failure. Where do
you draw the line?