[Asterisk-Dev] Re: PostgreSQL support in Asterisk 1.2?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Aug 5 08:57:28 MST 2005

On Friday 05 August 2005 11:12, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> > Yes that's right, I said RealTime is a bad thing.

> I wouldn't put MySQL near anything critical either, but I find it strange
> that people are hung up on the "DB" being a point of failure, when we're
> talking about asterisk here...

Why would you take your PBX, a critical piece of communications equipment and
tie it to a DB server ...  something else that can have HDD or PS failure, or
introduce into its decision/routing path the possibility of something like
the latest Outlook worm which could flood the switch and knock your voice
quality out?

Store all your stuff in the DB, but don't have Asterisk have to query the DB
layer for everything.  Generate the config files from the DB and notify
asterisk of the changes.   There are some situations where the decision paths
may need to be that dynamic but that's clearly a corner case.

I do the same with my firewalls -- keep things as simple and stupid as
possible.

> Hello, asterisk and PostgreSQL aren't even on the same page in terms of
> reliability and stability (yet)...

While I can't say Asterisk is rock-solid stable, I have certainly never had
any major issues in the past year and a bit I've run it, and I'm even using
CVS HEAD.  Two boxes.  Averaging about 8500 calls a month.

I consider that "stable enough."  :-)

> Asterisk is your most likely point of failure.  Sure, adding another point
> of failure increases the chances of failure, but when the most likely
> failure is orders of magnitude more likely, why are people harping on it so
> much?

Actually my most likely point of failure's the internet connection that every
call passes through.  :-)

-A.