[Asterisk-Dev] asterisk functions return codes

Timur V. Elzhov Timur.Elzhov at jinr.ru
Thu Aug 4 01:14:52 MST 2005

Dear developers,

Could I clarify the convention about function return codes in the
asterisk sources? For instance, the name of `asterisk_fileexists'
function implies its use in conditions like that:

   if (asterisk_fileexists(...))   - in case of existing file, and
   if (!asterisk_fileexists(...))  - in case of non-existing one.

However, when file is non-existent, it returns -1, so the *first*
condition will be true, and second will be false. So the right way
I guess is to write

   if (asterisk_fileexists(...) > 0)

Forgive me if I misunderstand something, but do you really find such
a behaviour convinient? I find that's not logical, if we have to call
operators like '<' or '>' when expect answer of only two values, true
and false.

So, the main question is, again: Are there a general convention about
function return codes in the asterisk sources?

Thank you.

--
Best regards,
Timur Elzhov