[Asterisk-Dev] PostgreSQL support in Asterisk 1.2?

Daniel Swarbrick asterisk at pressure.net.nz
Wed Aug 3 13:59:03 MST 2005

Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com> wrote:

 >>>MySQL is so prevalent because of its percieved easier barrier to
 >>>entry...
 >

 >> What a crock of crap.  I've been running mysql for years and never
once had
 >> "mangled data".

 >I also have not seen mangled data, but I have seen piss poor
 >performance.

Hear hear. I expect many MySQL users will be running the default MyISAM
table type, which does not support:

- row level locking (!)
- transactions
- stored procs

The latter two are probably not so critical in this particular
situation, but TABLE LEVEL LOCKING is unspeakably stupid on big tables.
I know that InnoDB tables fix all this, but they're also 3 times bigger,
and not the default option in MySQL (which means newbie users are
probably not even aware of them).

PgSQL has had row level locking (and transactions, and stored procs) for
as long as I've been using it (about 6 years now).