[Asterisk-Dev] fix request...

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Aug 3 10:54:02 MST 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 10:28, Eric Wieling aka ManxPower wrote:
> And yet people are willing to put up with these issues.  Why?  Well, I
> put up with them so I don't have to worry about downloading and
> testing a CVS-HEAD of Asterisk that's broken, or buggy, or changes
> behavour at the specific moment of a CVS checkout.

Not to start a flamewar here but there is *absolutely* nothing compelling you
to keep CVS HEAD up to date with the very latest in features and bugs and
breakage.  I kept my servers running some version from the start of June and
rode it out through until I got the TE406 and needed updated Zaptel drivers.
It was stable and functional and required no restarts.

Essentially it's no different than running any other point-in-time release,
STABLE included.

> Most of the time CVS-HEAD has no major bugs that affect stability.
> Most of the time.  Most of the time the current version of CVS-HEAD
> behaves the same as the older version.  Most of the time.

$ cvs co -D "20050704 1pm EDT" asterisk

doesn't work for you exactly how?  Granted it's not

$ cvs co -D "something recent that works" asterisk

but it's pretty close.  :-)

> 1.0.x is a known thing with known issues that I know how to work
> around.  I'm not a R&D lab for Digium.

Granted...  but I'd have figured that the restart bugs and leaks would have
gotten rolled into 1.0.9 with yours and others who use STABLE's help and
desire for a feature-frozen release.

-A.