[Asterisk-Dev] [RFC] Remote MWI using IAX2

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Apr 30 03:37:47 MST 2005

On April 30, 2005 12:59 am, Gil Kloepfer wrote:
> 5.  There may be scalability issues with many phones doing remote MWI
> queries as, in the case of Zap/ channels, the MWI checking is done
> once a second.

It'd be nice if this were changed to once a minute or something more
reasonable, *or* if it were possible to have the remote IAX2 MWI checking
done in such a way that you "registered" to the IAX peer and then simply
received notification of waiting messages, rather than polling for it.
(think of it similar to an IAX2 REGISTER followed by the occassional
PING/PONG to make sure the user was still alive at the registered IP/port).

Very nice proof of concept though, I know I'm eager to have a central
voicemail implemented for IAX2.  :-)

-A.