[Asterisk-Dev] IAX spec: Text formats and character sets

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat Apr 30 03:04:46 MST 2005

> Since it's obvious that this is an unresolved issue, we should
> avoid the issue at this juncture in the IAX2 spec and simply specify
> that ASCII is the character format.  If at some point in the future
> these arguments are resolved, then at that time a revision may be made
> to the IAX2 specification allowing UTF-8 or another character set.

In a community that grows world-wide and extends far outside of the
english-speaking a-z community, that is not a good solution or attitude.
We are developing a multiprotocol PBX that already involves issues with
character sets and language syntaxes that need to be resolved. Last
year, I started working on solving a lot of those language issues that
was lurking around the bug tracker with no one taking care of them or
driving them forward. Now, I'm proud to say that with the help of a
large number of people in the community (Thanks Fran!) Asterisk has
support for many language syntaxes in the prompts and in the indications.

Now is not the time to put the head below the ground and say "let's just
forget all about it" but to say "let's solve this now and then start
coding".

If you actually read my proposal, your proposal is in line with mine,
but I limit it a bit more. I am saying that for extensions/dial strings,
let's stick to numbers. And for Caller ID names outside of SIP, let's
stick to whatever the PSTN standardize on. On top op this, add a layer
that properly supports SIP UTF8 international caller ID names and named
extensions. And then start working on fixing the applications one by
one, starting with pattern matching in the dial plan, where I also
propose an *OPTIONAL* way of doing it with full UTF8 character set
support. As John Todd pointed out, this will also add full regular
alphanumeric pattern matching in the dialplan even for those of you that
do are limited to A-Z :-)

The additional proposal for IAX2 was to add a way to send full UTF8
Caller ID names and extensions to be able to properly bridge to SIP and
also enable full Caller ID names for those that have names outside of a-z.

We will have to add IDN (International Domain Names) support and
character set conversion with ICONV regardless, if we want to be SIP and
DNS compliant. Let's do it right, or simply remove chan_sip and forget
all about it - then you're free to standardize on ASCII :-)

I've been working with network communication software for over 15 years,
so I know that this is not simple to grasp or understand, I have full
respect for that. I might have grown a bit bitter from all of these
discussions that end with "I don't understand this, so let's stick with
ASCII" leading to software we simply have to do "rm -r" on. Even
Microsofts first XML notepad did not support anything else than a-z
properly, even though XML was standardized in regards to character sets
from the beginning ;-)

My apologies if I offended anyone with my attitude, but I can simply can
not accept "let's stick with ASCII" comments - it's very ignorant to a
large part of the world, and  a large part of the Asterisk community.

/Olle