[Asterisk-Dev] IAX spec: Text formats and character sets

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Apr 29 17:13:29 MST 2005

Michael Giagnocavo wrote:
> Hmm, you're right. That's doesn't look bad at all.
>
> But... what about for comparisons and other Unicode operations? Do the
> libraries available support some UTF-8 version of strcmp, strchr,
> strcasecmp, etc.?

Some of them are easy (strcmp, for example). Most of them are harder,
because they either need to know character boundaries, or need case
mappings (strcasecmp, for example). Any function that searches for a
'char' in a string also won't work if the character being searched for
is a multi-byte one.

I think it's safe to document that the on-wire format is UTF-8, but that
the current implementations only support the single-byte subset of
UTF-8. Any implementation is free to be extended to fully support the
entire UTF-8 character space, providing suitable libraries can be found
(or written).