[Asterisk-Dev] video in iax2 spec

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Fri Apr 29 17:13:29 MST 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Steve Kann wrote:

> Derek Smithies wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> > Openh323 has windows video grab routines. They are used in myphone, a
> >windows openh323 client. The latest myphone is on sf, dated june 2004
> >
> >===============================================

> >>Were you going to write it for me?
> >>

> >I already have. They are inside pwlib - ready for you to use.
> >

> You're talking about two different things here; "SDL display code", and
> capture code.
Yes, I am talking about two different thing here.
I thought the original letter was clearly delineated.
The first part o my letter talked about capture.
The second part of the letter was clearly talking about SDL display code.
I wrote the original SDL display code, and the Craig added some features
to it.

> bunch of things I need, and also because it's licensed GPL; being GPL
> licensed presents restrictions, the most important of which is that it
> will prevent me from using any kind of patented codec.
>
> I would consider using parts of pwlib for capture, but it is licensed
> MPL, and therefore, cannot be used in a GPL application (like iaxComm).

> Ahh the vagaries of licensing. I'd need to find out if it's possible for
> the authors to make exceptions for MPL-licensed code, or just for
> pwlib-derived capture..

================================
licensing is a can of worms I do not follow.

* is dual licence,  GPL+modifications/commercial_use

The modifications in the GPL like part of * license are you can link *
with openh323/pwlib, and you can link * with ssl libs.

Now, GPL code is GPL, which can only be linked with GPL code.

My view, and I would appreciate some insight here,
 Can pure GPL code be linked with GPLM (GPL + modifications)   ?

I think not.

Steve,
 if you put the * modifcations in the license for your code, you could
link (legally) with openh323/pwlib.

> Also, I've got a question for you: Are you finding that most modern
> windows video devices are still available for use with VFW? I've read in
> some places that it seems that newer capture devices are supporting
> DirectShow only?

Don't know.

My question:
  is debate about asterisk like code and windows pointless? - * does not
compile natively under windws (no MFC project files etc)

Using mingw and iax code seems a bit of a hack to me, and not particularly
acceptable. What do you mean, I have to install zillions of libraries to
get my windows box to run a small voip program like iaxcomm ? I hate
installing libraries/functions on my windows box unless there is a very
good reason.

Derek.
--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.