[Asterisk-Dev] video in iax2 spec

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri Apr 29 06:21:36 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 17:06 +1200, Derek Smithies wrote:

> On the topic of implementing video, I note that openh323 has all the video
> display,grabber routines we need. And, Openh323 also has H261 (and h263)
> codecs. And, Openh323 video routines have been well tested/proven in
> Gnomemeeting.

Oh god no.  While it's true that OpenH323 is out there and is fairly
complete, it's almost impossibly difficult to actually use in an
application.  The fact that Gnomemeeting works with OpenH323 proves
nothing, Gnomemeeting was built from the ground up to use OpenH323.  I
mean, come on, chan_h323 and chan_oh323 are some of the most difficult
apps in Asterisk to get compiled, let alone working.  The people that
have worked hard at getting chan_h323 and chan_oh323 to where they are
today deserve a medal (and a large bottle of Tylenol).

I mean, WTF is up with a *LIBRARY* that requires you to have the source
that you compiled the library with around to compile an application?
Why do people put up with that?  If people were required to keep the
source to glibc around to compile an application you'd be screaming
bloody murder. And don't tell me it's because OpenH323 is written in C
++.  You don't need the source for libstc++, boost, or gtkmm around
either.

Jeff