[Asterisk-Dev] Dev Meeting list

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Thu Apr 28 21:24:48 MST 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 01:08:53PM +1000, Philip Warner wrote:
> At 01:05 PM 29/04/2005, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> >If you have a proper documentation of changes and how to overcome
> >the problems caused by it, there is no reason why it shouldn't be
> >allowed to break.
>
> Do you work for Microsoft by any chance?

You can find a lot of bad things about Microsoft, but breakage of
backwards compatibilty with proper acting programs isn't one of
them. So far for responding on a bad attempt to insult me.

The current randomly-increase-the-priority-system is a source of
confusion, mistakes, failures and clashes.

A specification of the behaviour of the priority defined when the
app is called is makes it clear for the person who makes the dialplan
and for the persons who inherite the system later on what the
expected behaviour is.

The sooner this behaviour is adopted the less problems there will
be in the future.

> Breakage is fine if staged over a couple of versions with time for users to
> adapt dialplans and see warning messages at startup.

If you do upgrades without testing the differences in behaviour,
then you're on the wrong path to start with and you don't deserve
anything less than a total burnout of your system.

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org
edwin at mavetju.org    |          Weblog: http://weblog.barnet.com.au/edwin/