[Asterisk-Dev] IAX spec: Text formats and character sets

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Apr 28 10:10:24 MST 2005

At 8:48 AM +0200 on 4/28/05, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>Good morning, bonjour, god dag!
>
>The IAX spec has to be more specific in regards to character sets
>used in various messages.
>
>The numbers and CID names are specified as "ASCII encoded text".
>There's not spec of HTML text format. That assumes ISO-8859-1, 8 bit.
>
>* ASCII is 7 bit only. A-Z
>* As far as I know, Caller ID Name is also ISO 8859-1, 8 bit.
>* SIP is UTF8, meaning I can include not only Swedish ÅÄÖ but almost
>   any character set, except the secret magic runes...
>
>We need to set an Asterisk /IAX2 standard for
>text frames, "numbers" and caller ID names.
>Asterisk is more and more becoming an
>international project and we need to work this
>out before we've come too far in the
>"all text strings are US ASCII" soup and can't
>clear this up. I've been working quite a long
>time with network communication and have carried
>a large number of Swedish keyboards to US
>programmers that needed to learn that there
>where more characters in the world than A-Z and
>even stranger keyboards (as the participants on
>Astricon Training in Stockholm quickly had to
>learn :-) )
>
>I would like to see that Asterisk internally
>uses two sets of names and phone numbers - one
>alphanumeric UTF 8 and one ASCII. That way we
>can handle both SIP and IAX2 and know what kind
>of object we're handling.
>Right now, the SIP channel happily adds UTF8
>caller ID names to the CID*name field, or UTF8
>extensions/phone numers/user names to the called
>extension field.
>
>Leif Madsen and I have written a proposal that
>we would like the community to review, called
>alphaextensions. In this, we try to define a way
>to add proper handling of international
>character sets in extensions (a la SIP) without
>breaking backwards compatibility with the
>current dialplans and applications within
>Asterisk.
>
>This proposal is available at
>http://edvina.net/asterisk/alphanumericextensions.pdf
>
>...and we would very much like input on that.
>This became even more important after browsing
>through the IAX spec (IAX2 spec? :-) ).
>
>Another quick comment: I think we should format
>the IAX spec not as an Internet Draft, but as an
>Informational RFC like the early NFS RFCs, since
>the wording of the first paragraphs tells us
>that it will never be published as an IETF draft
>any way...
>
>/Olle

Olle -
   I can't find anything to argue with in your
proposal.  The inclusion (well, exclusion) of '@'
has been a thorn in my side a few times, and
while I can't speak for the international
characters (as I rarely use them) I clearly see
the benefit of the added character expansions for
those of you in the world who like to add little
squiggles and dots to your ASCII.  ;-)

   Though it is only a sidebar to your main
discussion, I especially like the "(prev)"
concept - that would clean up my dialplans quite
a bit.

JT