[Asterisk-Dev] How chan_sip make a new call to destination?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Apr 28 08:49:11 MST 2005

Pere Sáez Garcia wrote:

> I'm new in Asterisk. I'm looking for the code where chan_sip.c launch a
> new call when a SIP user request calling(dest). I find a function called
> handle_request but i don't find the line where the call is made.

There is no "line where the call is made". SIP is a complex,
asynchronous protocol, and initiating a call involves quite a few steps.

Amazingly, though, they all start with the function named 'sip_call' in
chan_sip.c. Imagine that, who would have thought that the function that
initiates calls would be named 'sip_call'... must be pretty hard for
people to believe, since you weren't able to find it <G>