[Asterisk-Dev] IAX spec: Text formats and character sets

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Apr 28 08:47:16 MST 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 05:15:34PM +0200, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> Steve Underwood wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I raised this with Mark ages ago, when I started putting Chinese into
> >IAX2 messages. I thought it should be specified that all text is Unicode
> >in UTF-8 form, but he seemed pretty indifferent to specifying anything.
> >
> >There is no need to have ASCII + UTF-8. ASCII is a subset of UTF-8, so
> >they are fully compatible. Its only when you have 8 bit sets, like the
> >PC ones, that compatibility is an issue. Just define that all strings in
> >IAX2 are UTF-8, and that is the end of it.
> >
> ...yes, I'll admit that is an easy way out. But we still need to handle
> conversion to ISO8859-1 caller ID's

Where is ISO-8859-1 used? What about names in non-latin1 charsets?
What about my name, for instance?

> and find a way to do pattern
> matching and how to use "." and "@" in IAX to call SIP uri's - there are
> many things to consider. (The @ in an IAX2 dialstring separates
> extension from context...)

This is not a problem. See utf-8(7). An ASCII byte in a UTF-8 stream can
only be part of a single-byte ascii character. This is not UTF-16.

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com