[Asterisk-Dev] IAX Spec online

Kenny Shumard kshumard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 07:42:46 MST 2005

>  From a quick read, one thing jumped out at me.  Section 5 ("Features")
> seems very out of place in the flow of the document.  The implementation
> descriptions dive into the use of IAX frame types which aren't
> introduced until section 8.  So, I'd recommend either moving the whole
> thing there (after 8), or perhaps leaving it in place, but up-leveling
> it to describe the feature capability without going into the protocol
> details at that point.

I struggled with how I was going to order it all, and I agree with you
that it doesn't "flow". Does anyone else have suggestions on how
better to order it?

> A state machine or transaction waterfall diagram would then be useful
> for each of the feature subsections in 5, to describe the detailed
> protocol.  Perhaps adding these diagrams to the existing section 12
> ("Call types") would be appropriate.

That's exactly where I was thinking I would put state diagrams, after
I create them. I haven't yet made all of them, and I didn't want to
include some but not others.

> Finally, minor nit--I didn't see reference to this as the 2nd version of
> IAX in use, was that intentional?

That certainly was intentional. Mark and I agreed that this protocol
would be presented as IAX exclusively. The only mention of version is
in the VERSION IE. Since it's been IAX2 for so long (does anyone even
still use IAX1? Speak now...) compatibility issues between IAX1 and
IAX2 should be nonexistent.

> Overall--great first pass.

Thanks -- I appreciate it. : )

~K