[Asterisk-Dev] STUN for asterisk as SIP client

Chih-Wei Huang cwhuang at citron.com.tw
Tue Apr 26 19:37:35 MST 2005

Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
>> Goldenear wrote:
>>
>>> STUN support for asterisk has been discussed since a long time.. why
>>> isn't it implemented yet ? is it so difficult to add STUN support in
>>> chan_sip ?
>>
>> You are aware that Asterisk is an open source project, right? Things
>> don't get implemented just because they've been 'discussed for a long
>> time', they get implemented because someone with the desire to do so
>> does the dirty work and writes the code. (or, someone who wants it bad
>> enough pays someone else to write it for them)
> I fully agree that it would be helpful to have it and fully agree with
> Kevin - a lot of people has asked for it but no one seems to want to
> fund the development work for it...

Agree + 1

By the way, IMO, you don't need to wait STUN support for Asterisk.
Because

* STUN is not the right solution for NAT traversal. It won't work
for many situations.
* The best solution without modifying your router/FW/CPE, etc
is using an RTP proxy. Install SER with RTP proxy and have Asterisk
outbound route calls to SER. It works like a magic!

--
    ~     Chih-Wei Huang (cwhuang at citron.com.tw)
   'v'    CTO, Citron Network Inc. ( http://www.citron.com.tw/ )