[Asterisk-Dev] Dev Meeting this week.

Stephan A. Edelman sedelman at newace.com
Fri Apr 22 05:28:57 MST 2005

I don't think just software AGC is going to do it without significant
loss of "resolution". The peak amplitude that I'm seeing on the recorded
WAV files that appear in my e-mail is probably about 2-4% of maximum.
Software amplifying this will result in significant noise and distortion
because the S/N ratio is so low. (This still may be better than not
being able to hear it at all when listening to your voicemail over
PSTN).

I have no idea if the zap gain can be adjusted on the fly with the
current driver implementation, or if it requires additional ioctl's or
other fixes to make this work.

I think tying a relatively fast acting software AGC to the hardware gain
of the zap interface would be ideal.

Stephan.